Sunday, February 7, 2016

Week 1: Strange and New

This week was my first week in my new internship. Mostly, my duties were to familiarize myself with the company. Once I was assigned a project (Team SWAN) I began strategizing ways to reach more audiences through social media.

Being on Team SWAN means that I, and three other interns, are to update No Name Players social websites on information about SWAN Day 2016. Before being offered this internship I had never heard of SWAN Day or even No Name Players Theatre in any case. SWAN means "Support Women Artists Now," and I believe in this whole movement wholly. As a feminist, I am delighted to work with this group.

The Snapchat I made for the company.
The social media sites my team are supposed to post on are the company's Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. At our first meeting on Friday, I brought up the idea for us to create a Snapchat to share backstage information with photos and videos. My boss loved the idea and gave e the task of creating it. Another one of my suggestions were "15 second videos" that can be posted on Instagram and Twitter. These videos can be super short, one question interviews or snippets of rehearsals. I also brought up the idea of making longer versions of these videos to post along with biographies on Facebook. My last suggestion was to post "TBT's" (or Throwback Thursday photos) on all social sites to show past SWAN Days, since this is the companies seventh time hosting.

My supervisor, Tressa, mentioned that the company is a partner to seven other companies that all host their own SWAN Days. Since there is a company in Connecticut that is hosting theirs on the same day as ours, March 5, I mentioned that we should get in touch with them to have live Periscope-esque showings of specific events throughout the day.

I really love it so far, although we have not done much yet. Most of the work will be closer to the SWAN Day date, but I can tell that I have a knack for social media marketing. I'm pleased with this finding because that is what I want to do once I graduate next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment